Beyond Worth It
In the last of our series of the Meatless Month, I bring you the Beyond ® product of Hot Italian Sausage.
I’m using both on set to show how it compares to ‘regular’ sausage.
I have also included, from their own packaging, the nutrition information of each product.
[**NOTE** If you have a legume allergy, be aware that the Beyond ® products are mostly pea protein.]
With either product, this is a delightfully easy dinner that is even possible on a weeknight! ENJOY!
Italian Sausage and Penne
Serving Size : 8
1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic -- slivered
2 teaspoons fennel seed
1 pound Italian sausage -- sweet, or hot
4 cups broccoli florets -- cut in both small and large pieces
12 ounces penne pasta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper -- to taste
3 tablespoons fennel ferns -- fresh, chopped, optional
1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic, and sauté over medium heat until it is golden and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Set it aside. Add fennel seeds to the hot oil, and stir for about a minute. Scrape into the garlic bowl.
2. In the same skillet, crumble the sausage. Cook over medium heat until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Cover and simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon to a large bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the penne. Cook at a rolling boil according to package directions, until just tender. Measure 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid into the sausage saucepan. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the pasta and stir to coat.
4. Add the broccoli to the very hot pasta water. Blanch for 3 minutes to reveal the rich green color. Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon to the pasta bowl.
5. In a large saucepan, reheat the sausage with reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Heat through, and pour over the broccoli and pasta mixture.
6. Place the pasta in a heated serving bowl, and add the sausage mixture. Top with the garlic, fennel seeds, salt/pepper, and fennel ferns. Toss well, and pass the Parmesan.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 410 Calories; 23g Fat (50.3% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 675mg Sodium.