Happy New Year! Wait. What?
The start of a new school year is the likely return to regular schedules and a great time to start new good habits. So if you are cooking for someone else, or yourself, this recipe fits all three of the popular diets. I have also included a table to help you discern the differences in rules for them. (And I won't taunt you with the number of days until the holiday parties start!)
The best diet is the one that serves your body and makes you feel your best.
Smokin' BBQ Sauce
Serving Size : 8
1 cup onion -- minced
2 cloves garlic
14 ounces crushed tomatoes
6 ounces tomato paste
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 dried dates -- pitted and chopped
4 chipotle chiles canned in adobo -- chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons ginger root -- grated
3 Tablespoons lime juice -- (1 lime)
2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Liquid Smoke® -- All-Natural
1/2 cup water -- up to 1 cup
1. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and applesauce to a powerful blender. Process for about a minute until it starts to become smooth. Add dates and chipotle, and process 30 seconds to a minute more until smooth again.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except the water, and process for about 30 seconds. Add the half cup water and process until the mixture is very smooth. If it still seems chunky after 2 minutes, add more water, a couple of tablespoons at a time. Make the sauce smooth, not watery.
3. Pour the contents into a large saucepan over medium heat. When it begins to bubble, stir gently and lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until richly dark in color, then remove from heat.
4. After the mixture cools, pour through a fine mesh sieve to get a perfectly smooth sauce,
NOTE: Refrigerate in an airtight container. Sauce improves flavor after refrigeration for 2-3 days. It will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 73 Calories; 1g Fat (9.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 351mg Sodium.