While there may be a bit of a drizzle in the air, your home can offer a warmth to ward off that chill!
Served in the potato skin bowl makes this dish a beautiful, and ready for company meal. (Also, easily re-heated!)
The recipe isn’t hard, but just a bit more complicated than most I do for you. I would suggest that you bake the potatoes the night before while you are cleaning up from dinner, and that will cut your prep time significantly. Spoons UP!
Baked Potato Bowl
Serving Size : 6
3 pounds potatoes -- (about 4 large)
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
4 pieces thick-sliced bacon -- (about 4 ounces)
1 1/2 cups yellow onion -- diced
3 cups chicken broth
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
2 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese -- (white) grated
1/2 cup green onions -- chopped, (green and white)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Scrub potatoes well. Prick the skin with a fork to allow steam to escape. Lightly coat with butter and wrap tightly in foil. Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until potato is tender.
2. Peel and dice one potato, about 3/4 cup, and cover with plastic wrap until step 6. Neatly cut 3 remaining potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon or a melon baller, scoop out the center to make the potato bowl.
3. In a 3 quart or medium soup pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside with the reserved potato. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pot. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent, but not golden. Add chicken broth, garlic, spices and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
4. Prepare the potato bowls. Divide one cup of sharp cheddar cheese over the potato skins. Broil until the cheese has melted into the skins. Place one potato skin in the center of each soup bowl.
5. After the soup has come to a boil, remove from heat. Puree in batches in a blender. [Use caution when using hot liquids in the blender; the top can pop off without warning] Return to pot, stir in the milk and sour cream. Bring to a low simmer. Add 1 cup of white cheddar (or Monterey Jack cheese), a little at a time until it is all melted into the soup.
6. Gently stir in bacon, reserved diced potatoes, and green onions. Remove from heat, and season with additional salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into the bowl just to the edge of the potato skin. Serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 469 Calories; 20g Fat (37.5% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 80mg Cholesterol; 1007mg Sodium.