Serving Size : 8
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup onion -- cut in 1/2 inch dice
2 cloves garlic -- minced
6 large pepperoncini peppers -- cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
6 ounces pancetta -- cut in 1/4 inch dice (or thick sliced bacon)
1 cup white wine
2 vegetable bouillon cubes -- crushed
6 ounces fresh porcini mushrooms -- cut in 1/2 inch dice (or 2oz dried)
3 large tomatoes -- seeded and cut in 1/2 inch dice
1 pound fettucine -- or guitar string pasta
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves -- torn
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add olive oil.
2. Sauté onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Add pepperoncini, bay leaf, oregano and pancetta. Stir to combine. Add white wine and bring to a boil.
3. Stir in porcini mushrooms and tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain. Place in a large bowl and toss with one Tablespoon olive oil.
5. Sprinkle fresh basil over the pasta. Pour hot porcini mixture over the pasta and serve.
NOTE: If porcini are unavailable, try a mixture of interesting mushrooms for great flavor.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 430 Calories; 11g Fat (23.9% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 746mg Sodium.