Cigarette causes an early morning fire

By  | 

DURANT, Okla. (KXII) -- Fire crews say a cigarette was the cause of an early morning fire in Durant.

Firefighters were called out to the scene around 4 at a home off of South Risner Road.

We're told a mattress caught on fire due to a woman falling asleep while smoking a cigarette.

The woman along with one other person got out with no injuries.

"When I first got to the scene, there was no visible flames in the front door so I went to the backdoor and it was burning in the floor by the bed," Philadelphia firefighter Randell Greenhaw said.

Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames so that the home was not completely destroyed and they will be able to still live there.