Cigarette likely cause of grass fire in Love County
Multiple Love County volunteer fire departments responded to a quick-moving grass fire Wednesday afternoon.
The fire quickly burned up a pasture off Baston Road before moving into a heavily wooded area. Firefighters say they had trouble reaching the fire due to the brush and brambles.
A Dozier was called out to cut a fire break through the woods to protect homes to the north.
Officials say the cause of the fire is likely a cigarette found close to where the flames started.
Firefighters ask the public to be careful with cigarettes, trailer chains, grills, fire pits, welding and other activities that could spark a fire.