Cigarette likely cause of grass fire in Love County

LOVE COUNTY, Tex. (KXII) - Multiple Love County volunteer fire departments responded to a quick-moving grass fire Wednesday afternoon.

The fire quickly burned up a pasture off Baston Road before moving into a heavily wooded area. Firefighters say they had trouble reaching the fire due to the brush and brambles.

A Dozier was called out to cut a fire break through the woods to protect homes to the north.

Officials say the cause of the fire is likely a cigarette found close to where the flames started.

Firefighters ask the public to be careful with cigarettes, trailer chains, grills, fire pits, welding and other activities that could spark a fire.