Pignoli Nut Chicken Wraps
Serving Size : 4
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts -- slightly frozen
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 egg white
2 Tablespoons white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 large lettuce leaves -- Bibb or Leaf
3 Tablespoons oil
3 Tablespoons ginger root -- finely shredded
3 serrano peppers -- cut in 1/4 inch slivers
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup pine nuts -- (pignoli) toasted [*almonds can also be used; be very careful toasting!]
1. Slice chicken breast as thinly as possible, about 1/8 inch slices. Cut slices into 2 inch pieces. Place in a glass dish.
2. Sprinkle cornstarch over chicken. Toss lightly until coated. Add egg white, wine, salt and sugar. Stir to combine.
3. Separate the lettuce leaves. Rinse them under cold running water, and pat dry. Arrange on a serving platter, and refrigerate.
4. Heat oil in a skillet until ripples start to form in the oil. Quickly stir in the ginger, and cook for 30 seconds. Add chicken mixture. Stir-fry over moderate heat for one to two minutes or until all the chicken turns firm and white. Add peppers and stir to combine.
5. In a small dish, stir together 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon water. Add to chicken and stir to create a glaze. Remove from heat.
6. Place chicken mixture in a serving bowl and top with pignoli nuts. Serve with chilled lettuce leaves. Guests will spoon hot chicken mixture into leaves and wrap lengthwise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 343 Calories; 20g Fat (54.1% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 358mg Sodium.
Friday night – Mexican Pot Roast served with Mashed Potatoes
[Roast can cook in the crockpot while you’re working; easily serves as people arrive]
ONE - Brown one pound of ground beef. Drain fat. Wrap in foil, then stuff in plastic freezer bag. LABEL with contents and date.
TWO - Two large boneless, skinless Chicken breasts. Massage with a few drops of olive oil and dust with seasoned salt. Bake, then cool. Wrap in foil, then stuff in plastic freezer bag. LABEL with contents and date.
Saturday Lunch – Pignoli Chicken Wraps [Surprise guests? Slice the cooked chicken breasts, and stir them in just before serving]
Saturday Dinner – Roasted Pork Loin with Broccoli & Garlic Stir Fry
Sunday Lunch – Pot Roast stew with Rotini [Surprise guests? Add pound of ground beef while heating on stove. More people? Frozen carrots and/or corn are easy additions]
Christmas Eve Dinner & Christmas Day
As your personal traditions hold
Tuesday Dinner (or Monday Dinner if they haven’t gone home yet)
Confetti Risotto stirring in remaining bite size Pork Tenderloin pieces
If you haven’t used your ground beef, add it to a good, rich spaghetti sauce. Cook pasta, add a salad and call it dinner!
Recipes are from In Your Own Kitchen by Karel Anne Tieszen
Book is available from www.amazon.com and www.bn.com