Advertisement

Damaged utility pole causes power outage

(KXII)
Published: Jul. 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Jenifer Bonner tells us she heard an unusual sound coming from outside her home around 2 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.

"I got to the front door and I heard a loud pop," said Bonner.

Bonner stepped outside and saw smoke coming from a grassy area on Locust street.

"I happened to look down the street and realized we were without electricity one and two the grass was on fire," said Bonner.

Oklahoma Gas and Electric Company tells us a jumper connecting the wires of two electric poles burned out, causing a power outage.

Ardmore Fire Department put out the small patches of fire in minutes, but the damaged wires caused the Ardmore Village and Wal Mart to lose power for about two hours.

Erick Edwards was on his way into the store when he was turned away.

"I showed up parking lot is empty and there's a guy standing at the door saying that they don't have no power so they can't let nobody in," said Edwards.

A worker at Wal Mart tells us the back up generators went out shortly after they were turned on, so the store had to shut it's doors.

With a heat index of about 109 degrees, Edwards says that was probably the safest move.

"I was just trying to come up here to buy another fan … try to stay cool," said Edwards.

Neither Wal Mart nor the Ardmore Village would comment about the outage.

The power was restored around 4 p.m.