Denison family loses everything but hope in fire
A Denison couple and their 7-week-old baby lost everything they have in a fire Thursday night, less than two weeks before Christmas.
"We watched our whole house burn down," said Stephanie Krueger.
Stephanie has lived at her home on Sycamore Street in Denison for five years. Her husband Andrew C. Krueger has lived there his whole life, with his mom Paula, and Dad, Andrew B Krueger.
The home, like the name, is part of the family's legacy.
"When he got married five years ago, I let him have this house, to let them start their life," said Andrew B.
It's the home where Paula passed from cancer 20 years ago, the home the young couple planned to raise their son in.
"We lost everything that we've ever owned, we built a life together, and we lost everything that we've ever built together," Stephanie said.
Smoke filled the home in the early hours of Friday morning. Flames engulfed the bathroom, quickly spreading throughout the home. The couple, asleep inside, with their 7-week-old son.
"I woke up to the sound of the smoke detectors going off, and I saw the living room thick, thick with smoke," said Andrew C. "And I just woke my wife up as fast as I could, and I was yelling 'the house is on fire, the house is on fire, get our kid out of here.'"
The Kruegers and the family dog were able to make it out unharmed. The home was ruled a total loss. Everything they owned, gone in minutes. Everything, except the family Bible, which was left untouched.
"Objects can be replaced, but a life can not, and I'm just forever grateful that my wife and kid made it out alive." Andrew C. Krueger said.
The family does not have insurance but plans on eventually bulldozing the home, and rebuilding in the same spot.
For now, they'll be staying with family in Howe.
If you would like to help the family, they said they are in desperate need of infant clothes, sizes 0 to 3. You can contact Stephanie Krueger at 903-357-8357.