Advertisement

Denison family escapes house fire

(KXII)
Published: Feb. 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

DENISON, Texas (KXII) -- A home was destroyed Monday morning by fire.

Fire ripped through a home on Steven Drive near Bluebonnet Avenue in Denison around 12:45 Monday morning.

Pennie Auldridge says her sister and brother-in-law live in the home.

"He heard the smoke alarm beep and he jumped out of bed, opened their bedroom door and looked out and noticed their home was on fire," said Pennie Auldridge.

The two people inside had to crawl out of their home to escape. They were not hurt.

"The smoke was really bad and the windows were bursting," Auldridge said.

Denison firefighters say the fire started in the attic and they believe the cause is electrical.

"It sustained some extensive damage both smoke and fire," said Fire Chief Gregg Loyd. "It's going to be quite a bit a loss."

The family was able to save one dog but lost four other pets in the fire. Fire crews credit the smoke detector for saving the homeowners lives.

"If they would waited another two minutes they wouldn't have made it out, so we are very lucky to have them," Auldridge said.

"Had those not been in place it could have been a different result," Chief Loyd said. "We encourage everybody, like we always do, to make sure your smoke detectors are up and make sure they are functioning. If you have any questions or need assistance feel free to call the fire department."

The home is a total loss. The family says they have insurance and plan to rebuild. A GoFundMe account has been set up to assist the family.