Fire officials advise safe use of space heaters as temperatures drop

LOVE COUNTY, Okla. (KXII) With temperatures dropping this weekend, folks will be firing up those space heaters to keep warm. However, there are some safety precautions people should take before using space heaters.

Heating equipment like space heaters are involved in one in every seven home fires, according to the US Fire Administration.

Last January, a father and son in Love County died in a house fire caused by an electric heater.

Taylor Westbrook with Love County Fire EMS said his station sees at least one to two fires caused by space heaters each year.

Westbrook said to keep children and pets at least three feet away from space heaters, as well as anything flammable, especially loose fabric.

"You definitely don't want to have loose fabric around, which is a curtain or accidentally throw a blanket on the ground," Westbrook said. "Or if you plug it into your bedroom, you do not want it next to your bed sheets."

Westbrook also said to use space heaters that shut off automatically when they get too hot.

Families, especially with young children, should know what to do if they are caught in a house fire.

"If you have never done this, it is great to have an evacuation plan and do a fire drill, so everyone knows how to get out, where to meet up and what to do during a house fire."



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus