Freon leak causes evacuation at Denison school

A freon leak caused an evacuation at Scott Middle School

DENISON, Tex. (KXII) - Students were evacuated from Scott Middle School in Denison Wednesday afternoon after fog appeared in the cafeteria.

The Denison Fire Department was called around 1 p.m. after the lunch period had ended when students and faculty were evacuated for a smokey haze.

At the time, administrators were unsure of what was causing the haze and immediately evacuated students and teachers from the building.

When fire crews arrived they were able to determine if there was any threat to the students.

"It turns out we had a freon leak out of a mainline on the food, and that freon was creating a foggy effect in the cafeteria," said Brian Eaves with Denison Independent School District.

No one was injured from the leak as students were not in the cafeteria at the time. EMS was called to the scene to make sure no one had inhaled the chemical.

Maintenance secured the leak and cleared the building.