Gainesville man holds thieves at gunpoint until police arrive

Published: Jun. 1, 2016 at 9:45 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GAINESVILLE, Texas (KXII) -- A Gainesville man had tens of thousands dollars worth of electrical equipment stolen on Monday. But after filing a report with police, he took matters into his own hands.

Electrician Brian Jackson noticed three men with his tool bags near his home. He then pulled out a gun holding them there until police arrived.

"8:15 in the morning, I stroll out to the truck and my toolbox was wide open," Jackson said. "And I already knew what happened."

Jackson knew his tools were stolen from in-front of his own home just south of Highway 82 and North Grand.

"Knockout kits, your typical hand tools, some pretty expensive meters, line locators and a jack hammer," Jackson listed some of the items stolen.

More than $20,000 of equipment gone. But after going for a drive to clear his head, he circled back home and made a discovery, just next door.

"The victim had seen three suspects who were carrying some of his property, some of his tool bags," said Gainesville Police Chief Kevin Phillips.

Just 90 minutes after reporting the theft, Jackson took matters into his own hands.

"I hit my brakes," Jackson recalled. "They fell right in line like they were guilty. I hit my reverse lights, and it just played out. I pulled in with my .45, and I got their attention."

Jackson held the suspects at gunpoint until police arrived.

"'Bring me my tools, and you can go ahead and have a seat. Your rescue is on the way,'" Jackson recalled telling the thieves. "And I meant it. I didn't have any intention on using it. I just wanted their attention."

"We have been familiar with the subjects in the past," said Chief Phillips. "We're not looking at any charges with the displaying of the firearm. He was lawfully making an attempt to recover his property."

And Jackson recovered all his stolen tools but says he will make sure that it doesn't happen again.

"It was my own fault for not locking the box," Jackson admitted. "It sure put me in check. Could have wiped me out. Crazy luck. Like winning the lottery is what it feels like getting my tools back."

The Chief tells us charges are pending for the three suspects. The incident remains under investigation.