Serving Size : 6
- 3 pounds beets -- golden
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 1/2 inch ginger root -- peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon allspice -- or 4 berries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons shallot -- minced
- teaspoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon minced parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano -- fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bread -- toasted
- 4 ounces goat cheese -- spread thin on bread
- 6 ounces arugula -- washed and torn
- 2 tablespoons walnuts -- toasted
1. Remove the green tops of the beets, retaining just enough to not break the skin. Wash thoroughly. Place in boiling salted water, and simmer until tender, usually about 30-40 minutes.
2. Prepare pickling marinade in a medium, deep pot. Stir well to dissolve sugar and spices. Heat just before the beets are finished. Don't boil more than 5-6 minutes.
3. When the beets are easily pierced with a knife, use your thumb pads to easily peel the skin away. Using a knife remove any remaining imperfections. Cut into quarter size pieces.
4. Remove the pickling marinade from the heat and add pieces of beets. Allow them all to cool together, about an hour.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients, except oil.
6. Prepare goat cheese fold-over sandwiches. Cut each sandwich into 6 small pieces.
7. Remove cinnamon stick and ginger root pieces from the marinade, and discard.
8. Quickly whisk the oil into the dressing. Lightly dress the arugula with no more than 6 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
9. Using a slotted spoon, remove 6-8 beet pieces from the liquid and place on each plate. Add a portion of the arugula on top. Surround each salad with 4 small goat cheese sandwiches. Sprinkle walnuts on top.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 339 Calories; 18g Fat (35.4% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 20mg Cholesterol; 826mg Sodium.