Howe family out of home after structure fire

By  | 

HOWE, Tex. (KXII) -- A Howe family is out of their home after an early morning fire.

Fire units were called out around two this morning in the 1500 block of Pioneer Valley Drive where a chimney was engulfed in flames.

The flames then spread to the attic and through the roof.

The family living in the home was able to get out safely, but will not be able to stay at the home for now.

"The extents of the damage, I would say, is unlivable for this evening," Howe Fire Chief Robert Maniet said. "It could be repaired with wood and tarp and stuff over the next few days for the homeowners, but it is unlivable for this evening. Just due to the cold weather and the opening in the roof."

It took fire crews about 30 minutes to put the fire out.