Person of interest in Love County disappearance case released from prison

Published: Mar. 2, 2018 at 6:10 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

James Conn Nipp was last seen with Molly Miller and Colt Haynes before they disappeared five years ago. On Thursday, he was released from prison Thursday.

Love County officials were never able to solve Miller's and Haynes disappearance, and Nipp, although connected to the case, was never charged in their disappearance.

He was only convicted of running from law enforcement.

Many Love County residents, like Miller's grandfather, believe he knows more, and think he should be off the streets.

"It's difficult to deal with." Grandfather Alex Miller said.

Miller says he was upset to hear Nipp, 26, was going to be let out of prison Thursday.

"I've just tried to make another day," Miller said, "Try to mostly block it out of my mind, but that's something that's hard to do."

Molly and Colt were last seen with Nipp during a car chase in 2013, that ultimately landed Nipp in prison.

"If you was in my position, had a granddaughter that age, and know that she was in his company when she disappeared, your feeling run pretty deep." Miller said.

Nipp was convicted and sentenced to ten years in prison in 2014 for the chase. He got out after four. and is now on supervised release.

Nipp's supervision comes with a list of requirements, including staying completely sober, not committing any crimes- even at a municipal level, and he can't own a gun.

"He's got to behave himself. There's a long list of rules he's got to follow," Department of Corrections spokesman Matt Elliott said. "And if he does not follow those rules, he ends up right back in prison. And as we all know, prison isn't a fun place to be."

But whether Nipp being on the outside will have an impact on his granddaughter's case. Miller says he can only continue to hope for answers.

"It'll never get any easier," Miller said. "Not knowing what happened, it'll never get easier."

Nipp will remain under D.O.C supervision for the rest of his sentence, nearly six more years.