Residents of Travis Lofts in Sherman evacuated due to fire

By  | 

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) -- A small basement fire forced people out of their lofts in Sherman early Tuesday evening.

More than a dozen residents evacuated from the Travis Lofts as firefighters put out the flames in the basement.

The fire marshal said it appears the fire started from discarded cigarettes.

Randi Tanglen lives in the lofts. She saw the flames and called 911.

"It was very dramatic and very scary, the fire department arrived within just a couple minutes and that made me feel safe. They put the fire out almost right away," Tanglen said.

The fire marshal is still investigating but said the flames appear to be accidental.

No one was hurt.