Severe Fire Danger on WEDNESDAY
Severe Fire Conditions Wednesday
Sun 28 January / 9:15 pm
You might recall the widespread fires we had in Texoma early last week, including one in Love County that burned several homes to the ground, and another fire in Grayson County that also destroyed a home.
Conditions very similar to what we saw then take shape on Wednesday (Jan 31).
Dry air, unseasonably warm temperatures, freeze-dried vegetation and winds that may reach tropical storm force (39 mph) are expected to collaborate and make for a tough day for firefighters.
You can do your part to minimize fire events:
1) Don’t burn outside under any circumstances!
2) Properly dispose of smoking materials
3) Don’t park your vehicle over grass – the exhaust system’s heat may start a fire
4) Avoid welding outside
5) Avoid using fire pits for cooking
6) Don't drag chains or otherwise allow your vehicle to create sparks
This is a very serious situation; we have seen several fires of more than 1,000 acres since early January; fire conditions will only get worse until we get some heavy rainfall…or until spring when the grass starts to grow.
News 12 / KXII-TV