Sherman boy honored for saving grandmother's life

By  | 

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) -- A Sherman kid is being called a hero after saving his grandmother's life while driving down the highway.

His quick thinking caught the attention of firefighters. Monday, they celebrated his bravery with a unique award.

"I don't remember anything that happened, but just hearing, it's like, oh I'm alive, because of Jake," Deborah Boyer said.

It was this past Halloween night, Deborah Boyer was with her grandson Jake Jones, who was 12 years old at the time.

They had just finished trick-or-treating and were driving down Highway 75 when the unimaginable happened, she stopped breathing and went unconscious.

"She wouldn't wake up and we were going off the highway," Jake said.

There was no time to think or plan, she was not breathing. So Jake acted on impulse.

"I put my foot over her leg and on the break and my hand on the wheel to pull over the car," Jake said.

Jake steered over to the shoulder, amidst the speeding traffic, and then flagged down someone to call 911.

"I was scared, I didn't know what was happening," Jake said.

Boyer's heart had stopped and she was rushed to the hospital.

That impulse Jake had is the act now recognized for saving her life.

"We believe what he did that night saved what could have been numerous lives," Sherman Fire Chief Danny Jones said.

At Monday's council meeting, Jake received a "life saver award" and a fire hat of his own, only the second time the Sherman Fire Rescue gave out this honor.

"I didn't think that would happen, but it's pretty cool,"Jake said.

"He performed under pressure and that's just something amazing that we like to acknowledge," Jones said.

Fire Chief Danny Jones said an act this brave should not go unnoticed.

"What he did that night, for a 12-year-old, was really outstanding," Jones said.

And Jake's grandmother agrees.

"I can't believe it, it's just awesome," Boyer said.

Boyer was in the hospital for about three weeks, but is doing much better now. She said doctors don't know what caused her to stop breathing, but what she does know is that her grandson is indeed a lifesaver.