Sherman home deemed total loss after fire

Published: Jul. 2, 2019 at 6:28 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A family is without a home Tuesday night after a fire ripped through their house.

Tim Miller lives next door and was watching TV when heard a bang on the door.

At first he thought someone was trying to break in, but it was his neighbor screaming that her house was on fire.

"It's tragic over there, it's terrible," Miller said.

Miller answered the door to his next door neighbor around 10 p.m. Monday night on West Lamberth Road near Shady Oaks Lane in Sherman.

"Yelling and screaming her house was on fire, help me, help me," Miller said.

So he called 911.

"Then I saw smoke coming through the bedroom door and it was puffing, like there was a big blaze going on," Miller said.

Asst. Fire Chief Chris Olson said a woman was asleep at the time and her three kids weren't home.

He said she woke up to smoke detectors and escaped through her bedroom window.

"We arrived to find heavy fire in the kitchen, front porch and the garage area," Olson said.

"I couldn't see a blaze, but I could hear the snap, crackle, pop of the fire and all the fire alarms were going off," Miller said.

Olson said it was accident either caused by a laminator in the garage or possibly a candle left unattended.

Miller said moments later, he saw the flames.

"I heard a big pop and the fire came up through the roof," Miller said.

Olson said there's smoke damage throughout the house, deeming it a total loss.

But luckily the woman, her German shepherd and pet duck all got out safely.

Olson said the smoke detector saved her life.

"Make sure that you have working smoke detectors. You should have one in every sleeping area, as well as any common hallways that meet those sleeping areas," Olson said.

Olson said she stayed with a neighbor last night, but isn't sure where they'll live now.

He said you should change your smoke detector batteries twice a year.

Latest News

Latest News