Sherman man injured after house fire

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) - A Sherman man said he lost everything in a fire at his house Wednesday morning.

James Taylor said he jumped out of a window to escape the fire, but then realized he needed to go back into his house, even though it was engulfed in flames.

"I just had to get back to the puppies," Taylor said.

Taylor said he was able to save three of his nine dogs, and escaped with only the clothes on his back.

He said he's pretty sure what started the fire.

"I had a little space heater there and I think that's what caused it," Taylor said.

His neighbor, Juan Lara, said she was asleep when it happened.

"Someone started knocking on my window and said the house was burning," Lara said.

Taylor said he's just lucky to be alive.

"It was engulfed, you know, I was very fortunate to get out of there," Taylor said.

Lara said he's known Taylor since he was little.

Lara said he gave him a pair of shoes and a couple of other clothing items, but he's still in need.

"James is a good guy like I said, right now he lost everything so I gave him some of my stuff to help him out," Lara said.

Taylor survived with minor burns and a hand injury and said he's working on getting his blood pressure medication.

"I want everybody to know that I'm blessed, and I thank God, you know," Taylor said.

Taylor said he lost everything in the fire and his family is arranging ways for people to donate.