Trio found nude near shed fire detained after assaulting two Southmayd officers

By  | 

SOUTHMAYD, Tex. (KXII) - A family of three were found naked, down the street from a burning shed in Southmayd Tuesday afternoon. Two officers said they were later attacked by the parents.

The neighborhood had to be evacuated for three hours as crews tried to put out the flames and law enforcement tried to piece together how it all happened.

"Well it was kind of weird to see all three of them walking down the highway, naked," witness Larry Sanford said.

Larry Sanford was driving down Highway 56 in Southmayd just before 2 p.m. Tuesday when he saw smoke from a shed on fire.

"But when we topped the hill and got down here by the bridge, there were three nude people walking down the road," Sanford said.

They were walking away from the flames.

Authorities said these people turned out to be a mom, dad and their 13-year-old daughter, family to the owner of the property with the shed on fire.

Then a couple minutes later, Southmayd police saw them. Sanford was still watching.

"They pulled around there and tried to stop them and he immediately got into an altercation with a male subject and it got pretty violent," Sanford said.

Southmayd Police Chief Chad McKee said he was assaulted by the man and then the suspects took off. Then about 30 minutes later, McKee said another officer was assaulted by the mom. Both officers' injuries are minor.

The sheriff's office and Pottsboro police joined in to help and got the three people detained.

"They were not acting as a normal person would act," Capt. Sarah Bigham said.

Grayson County Capt. Sarah Bigham said the adults were transported to the hospital by ambulance and the juvenile was flown. The two adults have both been arrested for assault of a public servant, child endangerment and resisting arrest.

While all this was going on, the shed fire on Christi Lane off of Highway 56 led to an evacuation of the neighborhood after people reported hearing explosions.

"I saw this huge fire and started hearing gunshots going off," Sanford said.

The Plano Bomb Squad came in to help but did not find any devices.

'What they were doing, it's beyond me, but it didn't look good," Sanford said.

The neighborhood is back open and the fire is out, but the investigation is ongoing. Chief McKee said they are trying to figure out how or if the suspects are involved with the shed fire.