Father, son killed in Love Co. house fire

By  | 

MARIETTA, Okla. (KXII) - UPDATED 6:13 p.m. Jan. 17

Love County Sheriff Marty Grisham says a boy was trying to save his father from a fire that burned a house down on Renick Road early Wednesday morning but the boy and his dad did not make it out in time.

"The daughter is coming, knocking on my door and when I see it I'm scared because I don't know what's going on," neighbor Francisco Sanchez.

Francisco Sanchez lives across the street.

He says he ran out of his house when the teenage girl knocked on his door and saw the home engulfed in flames.

"It's my friend and I try to do my best but I can't do nothing because the fire is so bad and the wife started to cry, cry, cry and I feel so bad," Sanchez said.

Sheriff Grisham said the teenage girl, her 13-year-old brother and their 60-year-old father were all home when the fire started around 1 A.M.

Their mother was at the store.

Grisham says the kids were sleeping in the living room when the girl woke up and saw the flames and ran outside to call 911 and get help.

The boy tried to get his paralyzed father into a wheel chair but the two were overcome by heavy smoke.

"Upon arrival the deputies found the house engulfed in flames," Sheriff Grisham said. "(They) attempted to enter the house, couldn't make it through the front due to the fire and couldn't make it to the back also due to fire and debris."

Grisham says the father had been paralyzed in an accident that happened years ago.

The names of the victims are not being released at this time.

"This family is just sleeping and the son is doing what he can to protect and save his dad," Grisham said, "It's just a very sad story."

"My heart is broke(n)," Sanchez said. "Come on let's help."

(ORIGINAL)
A fire killed two people on Wednesday morning at a home on Renick Road.

Love County Sheriff Marty Grisham said a man, 60, and his 13-year-old son died trying to get out of the house.

Grisham said the son was trying to get his dad, who was paralyzed, out of a hospital bed into a wheelchair, but was overcome by smoke before they could get out of the home.

The fire started in the living room from an electric heater, according to Grisham.

Stay with News 12 and KXII.com for updates to this developing story.




 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus