Woman rescued from burning Sherman home

By  | 

SHERMAN, Tex. (KXII) - A woman's home burned down this morning while she slept. If it weren't for a neighbor passing by, she's not sure if she would be alive.

Diana Conrad was woken up Monday morning to yelling, dogs barking, and the smell of smoke.

"Our neighbor said, Diane, your house is on fire!" she said.

Conrad's neighbor tells us he was driving down Smith Oak Road near Highway 82 when he noticed smoke billowing just after 8 a.m.

He called 911 and jumped into action.

"Battalion chief was able to get her out of the house," said asst. chief Chris Olson. "Everybody made it out safe."

Conrad was alone at her home with her three dogs.

Her husband of almost 40 years, who she says is an amputee, was in the intensive care unit Monday morning for pneumonia.

"His right lung is still pretty, bad he's s till in the ICU."

They'd lived in the house for decades.

"Been here 37 years," she said. "He built it from the ground up himself."

Olson said the fire was caused by electrical issues or a space heater.

"The condition of the house made it difficult to contain it and make an effective stop," he said. "It is a total loss."

But Conrad is still grateful.

"God's been with us," she said. "We're both still alive, and we both got each other."

The Red Cross was out with Conrad all morning and have given her money and a place to stay.

She plans to spend Christmas alongside her husband.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus