After shooting intruder, Calera girl speaks out

By  | 

CALERA, OK - Yesterday we reported on a brave 12-year-old Bryan County girl who was home alone when she shot an intruder that broke into her house. She's been the talk of Texoma the past 24 hours, and today Steven Powell sat down with her to hear the story in her own words.

"He opened the screen door and started pounded on the door. So I didn't answer it. And I called my mom. She said to go get the gun and hide in the closet."

Kendra St. Clair says she stayed in the closet until she thought the coast was clear. So she went to check the back door.

And he was standing there trying to open it. So I got really scared and I called 911."

She went back to the closet. That's when she heard the man in the house.

"When I was back there on the phone with 911, I heard the bathroom light turn on that was leading to the closet. And when I saw the door handle turn, I shot him. I guess it went through the door, went through him, and went through the wall."

St. Clair thanks her mom for teaching her how to keep her calm and protect herself.

"And her telling me that has made me happy that she kind of helped me through that."

She says after the gun shot the next few minutes were one big blur. Kendra says it was the first time she'd ever fired a gun.

Her mom, Debra St. Clair, says she's thankful for the phone calls and support they've received from friends and family.

"I think God was definitely looking down on us yesterday and taking care of my girl."

She says she's still upset, realizing it could have ended differently.

"I thank God that Kendra was able to take care of her business the way she did. I don't know if I was in that position that I'd have been able to do the things that she's done."

And Kendra's phone has been blowing up with calls.

"One of my friends told me that she couldn't do that, and I'm an inspiration to her and everybody in Calera."

But while it's been an emotional day for both, Kendra says her mom hasn't stopped hugging her.

"I think she's making an even bigger deal of this than I am."

The suspect, 32 year old Stacey Jones, was released from a Plano hospital today and is being held in a Collin County Jail until he can be transported back to Bryan County. Officials say he faces a felony first degree burglary charge and up to 20 years in prison.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus