Cowboys lose to Redskins; await Romo results

Tony Romo
By  | 

ARLINGTON -- Tony Romo got back in the game just in time for the Dallas Cowboys' final drive in regulation, and when that didn't work out he got another chance in overtime.

While the Cowboys were happy to see Romo return Monday night after he missed a quarter following a shot to his surgically repaired back on a sack, they ultimately came up short in a 20-17 loss to the Washington Redskins.

Romo's final play in regulation was an intentional grounding penalty. The Cowboys then failed to make a first down on their overtime possession after Washington scored on Kai Forbath's 40-yard field goal.

"It was obviously painful, but I also felt like I could deal with it," Romo said, adding that his back wasn't the issue when he returned. "I don't know that it affected a ton. Their defense the last series or two affected it more than anything else."

The Cowboys (6-2) had their six-game winning streak snapped when Romo had to scramble before a fourth-down throw toward Dez Bryant fell incomplete. Washington (3-5) has won two in a row after a four-game losing streak.

Romo took what he called a "direct shot" to his back from Keenan Robinson on a third-down sack midway through the third quarter.

The 34-year-old Romo, who had surgery for a herniated disk last December, reached for his back after the hit and stayed flat on the ground before trainers rolled him to his side. He walked to the locker room mostly under his own power, got X-rays and then an injection.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who went down to the sideline to talk to coach Jason Garrett after Romo went to the locker room, said he was initially worried about the quarterback.

"Very concerned, the fact that he laid there as long as he laid there," Jones said. "When we looked at the play and saw that it was a knee he took in the side of the back, I felt better about it. Then when we got him back in here and looked at it real carefully, then everybody felt better about it."