SE Erases Early Deficit For Key Road Win

Southeastern erased a 14-point first half deficit and pulled away in the second half to pick up its first road win of the season 85-73 over Southern Nazarene on Saturday afternoon in Bethany, Okla.

The win lifts the Savage Storm to 6-11 overall and 4-7 in Great American Conference play heading into a Jan. 28 matchup at Arkansas-Monticello to kick off the second trip through the league schedule.

SE was lights out shooting on the day, hitting 55.9 percent from the floor for the contest, including a 60.7 percent effort in the second half.

That varied beyond the arc as well where they drained 52.2 percent of their three point tries, hitting 12-of-23.

Sami Bzai picked up half of those makes as he turned in 18 points to lead all scorers, going 6-of-11 with all his shots coming from behind the arc.

Nathan Jackson was right behind with a 17 point effort on 6-of-11 shooting, while Anton Cook also added a 6-of-11 effort to finish with 15 points with a trio of threes.

DJ Henderson added eight points off the bench as 10 players scored on the night, with Quinton Threadgill, Tyler Lonzie and Ander Perez each adding six.

The Storm dished out 20 assists as a team on the night with nine players recording at least one, while Bzai handed out a team-high five with Threadgill and Marti Fonolla adding four apiece.

SE owned the glass on the afternoon with a 37-to-24 advantage in rebounds, led by Lonzie's 10 boards with Perez adding six.

Jackson hit the game's first bucket, but it would be all SNU for the next eight minutes as the home team outscored the Storm 22-8 to opent he game and take a 14 point lead with 12:14 to play in the first half.

An Antonio worthy jumper off an offensive rebound would end the run and after trading buckets a James Donelan jumper would get the deficit into single digits with back-to-back Bzai threes continuing the run before consecutive buckets by Perez and Henderson would close out the 15-2 run and give the Storm a 27-26 lead with 4:57 to go in the half.

The Crimson Storm would regain the lead briefly, but a Kyle Roberts three would put the Storm back in front 33-31.

The teams would trade the lead back-and-forth until a Roberts layup with 41 seconds to go in the half tied the game at 39-39 which would be the score at the break.

The second half picked up with the teams continuing to trade the lead, eventually tying the game at 52-52 with 13:43 to go.

A Henderson bucket would get the Storm started as they would score six-straight and use a 14-3 run to open up a 66-55 lead after a Jackson old-fashioned three-point play with 7:56 to play.

The Storm would maintain and push its lead out to 74-60 with 4:51 to go on another Jackson bucket.

SNU would chip away at the deficit, closing the gap to seven points twice, the last at the 1:24 mark, but SE would get a Threadgill three and a pair of Lonzie free throws in the final minute to fashion the 85-73 final score.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus