Southeastern Rally Comes Up Short vs. OBU

Southeastern rallied from a 17-point second half deficit, but its last-second game-tying three pointer bounced off the front rim as time expired and the Savage Storm fell to league-leading Ouachita Baptist 70-67 on Thursday night in Bloomer Sullivan Arena.

The loss drops SE to 6-12 overall on the year and 4-8 in Great American Conference play, while OBU improves to 15-3 and 10-2.

The Storm trailed by 17 just two minutes into the second half, and was still down by 13 points with 7:48 remaining.

A 7-1 run by SE would get the deficit to seven points with five minutes to play, but it would still trail by eight points at 70-62 with 3:08 remaining.

A Bailey Welch three in transition and a Haley Schaefer layup with 53 seconds left would trim the gap to 70-67.

After getting a stop on defense, Welch would miss a three pointer with 10 seconds to play and the Storm would foul Erica Sharp with five ticks on the clock.

Sharp did her part, missing both free throws, Cheree Kiser would haul in the rebound and get a shot off before the horn, but it would hit the front rim and bounce off, sealing the 70-67 final score.

Despite missing the final shot, Kiser turned in her second-best outing of the season with 19 points to lead the Storm offense. She nearly turned in her first double-double by adding eight rebounds.

Welch turned in 17 points, doing the bulk of it at the free throw line where she was 12-for-14. She reached double digits all from the free throw line before making a field goal. Welch led all players with five assists.

Schaefer rounded out the double-digit scorers for the Storm with 14 points while shooting 50.0 percent from the floor.

Southeastern shot 38.2 percent from the floor for the game, and thanks to the rally in the second half, outshot the Tigers who hit 37.1 percent.

One major difference, however, was from long range where SE had just three three-point buckets and OBU hit nine.

OBU held a 45-to-41 edge on the glass, with Emily Williams leading the Storm in rebounds with 10 while Kiser added eight.

The Tigers picked up 18 offensive rebounds, but held just a 9-8 edge in second-chance points.

The teams were also even in points off turnovers with OBU holding a one point edge, while the Storm posted a 36-20 advantage in point in the paint.

SE scored first, but a quick 7-0 run left the Storm in an early hole.

SE would claw back to within one point and later to within two points, but OBU would answer with a run each time.

The Tigers would eventually run their lead out to 14 points before Kiser hit a bucket with two seconds to play in the half to make the score 40-28 at halftime.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus